Zomato and The peninsula management hosted us, a bunch of eager foodies, for a zomato meetup.
Escape the city’s traffic and disconnect, how you may ask? Well it is easy.
The peninsula is located in Dbayeh back street before Le Royal Hotel. Take a small turn on the right to be transported to field of gardenia and cheerful smiles.
Behind the big wooden door you enter the villa where attention has been given to the details to stay faithful to the Italian theme.
Walk even further and there you will find a terrace looking over the garden where they host on Thursdays themed nights animated by dancers and a lavish buffet of Italian delicacies.
Now back to the essential, the food experience!
First things first; the warm bread basket / box wrapped with green cloth and served with a side of marinated tomatoes: et voila you can make your own fresh bruschetta!
The menu had different kinds of salads:
- Insalata della casa: a beautiful presentation and rich ingredients, though I always prefer the cherry tomatoes over regular ones. The balsamic vinaigrette complemented it perfectly
- Insalata iceberg: chopped into four portions and drizzled with a Roquefort sauce with crunchy walnuts
- Tartare di salmone con salsa limone: one of the best I ever had, the slight peppery kick it has makes all the difference alone with the freshness of the salmon
- Insalata di gamberetti con mozzarella: again attention to the details in the presentation that leaves your mouth-watering and your belly satisfied with a non-deceiving taste
- Melanzane alla sorentina: in a clay dish, and though I avoid fried food, but this dish is rich and is worth the try, a non oily fried eggplant covered with marinara and dense cheese.
- Bresaola al limone: served as a flower with a center of radicchio leaves, yes flavorsome!
- For the pizza I picked the goat cheese and sun-dried tomatoes and could not be happier with my choice. A thin crust and delicious fillings
- Homemade cut by hand fresh crunchy golden fries; need to say more?!
As main courses we shared:
- Filetto ai porcini: I modified the sauce to make it a la mustarda! The meat is succulent and cooked as per my request medium rare. It literary melts under your mouth; however I would have preferred the same veggies served with salmon and maybe grilled rosemary potato wedges!
- Salmone alla griglia: flaking off the fork and served with broccoli, mushrooms and baby corns
The floor and marketing managers were the sweetest addition to this eve. Besides the tour they gave us around the restaurant areas, they insisted that we taste almost all kinds of desserts they serve and we could not be happier:
- The apple pie: my favorite layers of caramelized apples and alot of cinnamon served with their homemade vanilla ice cream and drizzled with caramel sauce
- The crème brulée: I did not imagine to be a fan: a crunchy caramelized sugar topping beneath it a custard mix and a sweet taste
- Chocolate fondant: the delicious volcano releasing the black lava we all crave! oh not to forget the ice cream scoop
- The Italian staple: Tiramissu, I liked it but though could use more creaminess maybe?
Thank you guys for the high standard service, the tasty food and the pleasant conversation.
And my lovely readers, what are you waiting for, pick up the phone and reserve asap to the cheapest trip to Italy!